Cheese pizza, a timeless classic loved by all, embodies the essence of simplicity and flavor. Its gooey, melted cheese atop a perfectly baked crust is a comfort food that satisfies the cravings of many. In this blog post, we uncover the steps to creating your own delicious homemade cheese pizza, allowing you to savor the fresh, bubbling goodness right from your oven.
For the Pizza Dough:
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pizza Sauce:
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Pizza Dough: a. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy. b. Add flour, olive oil, and salt. Mix until the dough forms, then knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. c. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean cloth, and let it rise for about an hour until doubled in size.
- Make the Pizza Sauce: a. In a saucepan, combine crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. b. Simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Prepare the Pizza: a. Preheat the oven to 475°F (245°C) and place a pizza stone or an upside-down baking sheet in the oven to preheat. b. Punch down the risen dough and roll it out on a floured surface to your desired thickness. c. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined pizza peel or baking sheet.
- Assemble and Bake: a. Spread the prepared pizza sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a border for the crust. b. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese over the sauce. c. Transfer the pizza to the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Garnish and Serve: a. Remove the pizza from the oven, garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired, and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.
The allure of a cheese pizza lies in its simplicity and comforting flavors. By following these steps, you can bring the magic of a classic cheese pizza to life in your own kitchen. Embrace the process, personalize with your favorite toppings, and relish the satisfaction of savoring a homemade cheese pizza—each slice a tribute to the delightful pleasure of good, old-fashioned comfort food.